Thirty four year old Edmar Halowski de Lacerda, is a Brizilian football who became an Ukrainian citizen in order to play for the national team, but now he regrets the decision as according to a MailOnline report, he has been compulsorily called up to fight in the Ukrainian army in the on-going face off with pro-Russian fighters.


Although Ukraine had a compulsory military service for school-leavers but during his nationalization he was too old for that so he had nothing to worry about. His worries even sublimed the more when the country scrapped compulsory military service in 2013.
But that changed during the current crisis. Ukraine's new leadership reinstated the military draft to address the deteriorating security situation and threats from Russia along the borders.
Acting President Oleksandr Turchynov, issuing the decree said: “Ukrainian male citizens who are physically qualified for military service, over 18-years-old and older and who have no right for exemption from military service will be conscripted”
So, Lacerda, who got married in 2008, now has to report for duty and he admits “I hadn't reckoned on this and although I'm a bit nervous that it might not get sorted out, I have to say that my wife is terrified. I have told her not to worry though and everything will be fine.
“To be honest, I don‘t know what I would do if I actually went into the army. Playing football is the only thing I can do. I haven‘t heard that any of my team mates have been called up, but maybe nobody says it out loud”
He added: ‘I had certainly not anticipated that when I got a Ukrainian passport. The club told me they will try to resolve the issue for me".
MailOnline reports that “For the last three years the midfielder has played for Ukrainian side Metalist Kharkiv. He came to the country in 2000 when he signed a contract with Tavriya Simferopol. He played at the club for five years before moving to Metalist Kharkiv, where he remains today, and after getting a Ukrainian passport he also played for the national side where he was capped 11 times.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your interest in our site we will get back to you.

 
Top