England coach, Roy Hodgson has named Wayne Rooney as England’s national team captain, making him after retired Steven Gerrard’s successor. The 28 year old now captains his country as well as his club, Manchester United.

He will now lead a new-look England squad featuring four uncapped players against Norway and Switzerland.

Jack Colback, Calum Chambers, Danny Rose and Fabian Delph are included in the the 22-man team for the friendly at Wembley and European Championship qualifier in Basel.

Hodgson said: “Wayne is an obvious choice for his honesty, commitment to the cause, his experience, the fact he has already captained England in the past. Now of course he’s got that responsibility at Manchester United as well. All those factors weighed into my thought process and I’m pleased to be able to say I’ve been able to offer it to him. I had a long conversation with him and he’s prepared to accept the pressures the England captaincy brings.

 “We hope he continues to push on, he continues to play well and he shoulders the responsibility of the captaincy as well as the other captains before him.”

Relishing the task that awaits him as national team skipper, Rooney said: “To be named as England captain is a dream come true for me personally and of course my family. It is something that I will take massive pride in doing.

He added:“As a kid I always loved watching a big England game on the television. Back then I had a burning ambition to play for my country. To be appointed captain is beyond my wildest dreams. I would obviously like to thank Roy and the coaching staff for having the belief and confidence in me to do the job.”

“I intend to speak with Steven about different aspects of the role. We had a great relationship from the moment we played together for our country and right up to our final game in Brazil. I am sure if ever I need to seek his advice he will be there to help”, Rooney also said.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your interest in our site we will get back to you.

 
Top